Thursday 10 February 2011

Bad week, good things

After the achievement of my first half marathon, I was both nervous and quite excited about the next long run. Did the fact that I was still alive after thirteen miles mean that I might manage fourteen? But I needn't have worried. The Bride came on a flying dress selection visit, Mum had a singing event and James was flying off to Mauritius (deep envy mixed with deep concern - he wasn't well - on the one hand he shouldn't have been travelling, on the other, four nights in a nice hotel in 27 degrees has to be good for one's health surely?). I had a lovely day with the children but it didn't involve much running. So I got on the treadmill later, when Mum came home, and I got off again after four kilometres. Four, when I'd been planning on attempting twenty-something!
I ran today, and as I was about to turn towards home at nearly six miles, so that I'd be in good time for mum to leave for her Pilates class, a friend from chorus waved and cheered me on from her car. I realised that I still had a little bit of time, did another two miles and still got home in time for Mum.
Apparently there'll be quite a few people cheering on the day. Perhaps if I pretend every single one of them is Annette cheering from her car on the A404, I might just make it.

1 comment:

  1. Hip Hip Hooray for you! I was OVERJOYED to see you running - it was such an uplifting experience for me to see you out running in that miserable weather with such determination and guts. Well done you! I applaude you and look forward to our next chance encounter...!
    Annette x

    ReplyDelete