Friday 7 January 2011

The Route Clutterer

I apologise to all those real runners out there who are training for this Marathon, talking about sub-four and sub-three and if-you-manage-x-you-can-start-with-the-elites-next-year and knowing what you’re supposed to do with those little sachets of stuff they give out with the water later in the route. But running is boring. I get bored. And I’m not very good at it (I suspect those two may be related). I know that if I am to complete this Marathon I have to do a lot of it, and I really am trying. But I’m not a real runner. I’m a well-intentioned wife, mother and unpublished novelist trying to do something for a charity that means – well, everything, really. James was diagnosed early and lives a full life. David was not diagnosed and died. We need nice people in this world. We can’t have them keeling over and leaving widows and widowers and fatherless sons and daughters simply because no one’s heard of Wegener’s granulomatosis. And we can’t keep blasting suffers with ghastly chemotherapy simply because we don’t know what else to do. Awareness must be raised and research must be done. It’s such a rich area for research – at the last Wegener’s trust meeting, the PhD student the Trust is funding presented some of her research, and it was so exciting to see the progress being made and the ideas that are bubbling to the surface as a result. One of those bubbles, properly nurtured, may become a more targeted treatment. An accurate tool for diagnosis. A cure.

And so I get back on the machine while O and T are at school and nursery and A and E are napping. I get on it when my mum comes over to supervise the children’s tea, and if neither of those scenarios have been possible, I get on it when the children are in bed and the dinner is cooking. I would rather be doing almost anything else. And I’m increasingly worried that what I’m doing isn’t enough – that I won’t get round the course – that I am just not runner enough to make it.

My Proper Runner friend won’t do the London Marathon, because she loves running and there are too many amateurs cluttering the route. I cling to that. I’m no good as a runner, but I reckon I’ll be a pretty effective route-clutterer.

2 comments:

  1. Never underestimate the power of the route clutterer! Wishing you so much luck with the training. You just have to get on that machine as much as you can. If only it were possible to write and run at the same time. I'd suggest voice software, but the breathlessness might have some interesting results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But the route-clutterers are there for a good cause and are so inspiring to see!

    On a different note - please accept my sincere congratulations on your marriage and motherhood. I almost stopped to say hello a couple of years ago at the Rickmansworth Canal Festival, but wasn’t sure whether you’d welcome the intrusion – especially as I was be-ribboned, be-flowered and be-belled having just danced with Phoenix Morris.

    I came across your blog when I was searching to see whether I could read any of your work (being a curious and procrastinatious mortal!). I was sure there must be some somewhere, though I admit I expected less personal material. I’m full of admiration for you and your family, and I wish you all the best for the marathon and after. I will respond to your summons to sponsor – please let me know how to go about it!

    All the best!
    Jane C (WGGS)

    ReplyDelete